[colorforth] colorforth install trivia...

Hi all-

Maybe this info is trivial to you all, but I thought I'd share it
anyway. Here in NYC it's not hard to find good computers on the street
so I finally booked in some time to see if I could get colorforth to run
on a Dell XPS R400 I found last Summer.

It came with a Matrox display that gave me a lot of trouble when I tried
to install X windows, so I got a Cirrus Logic display card on eBay for
around $2. The results are surprising.

The Matrox is a "Mystique" MGA-1064SG-D rev. A and it successfully ran a
few colorforths:

Moore's colorforth of July 31 from here:
<http://colorforth.com/install.htm>
This runs fine...

Loveall's colorforth from his QEMU package here:
<http://www.modest-proposals.com/ModProg.htm>
This runs fine...

and the CFnan colorforths from here:
<http://qualdan.com/colorforth/>
Color16 ran fine. Color32 presented itself with the bottom 3rd of the
screen black|blank. But it works. (Certainly no reflection on the
colorforth...)

I had thought the Cirrus Logic card (GD54468V-HC-B) would be a good
choice because Bochs/QEMU had bothered to emulate it (also my Linux
experience above) but I had little luck:

Moore's colorforth: It ran well enough to save blind, but the screen is
blank|black.

Loveall's version seemed in a similar situation, but I didn't pursue it.

CFnan color16 ran fine! color32 hung with a blinking cursor. (Again, no
reflection on color32...)

So that's it for now. I hope this is of some use to someone. If there's
anything I should be investigating, please let me know.

Best, Charles Turner

<vze26m98@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>