Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

On  Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:29:37 +0000
Gwenhwyfaer <gwenhwyfaer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 > The other idea I had for it is a new synth product,
but then I tend to
 > see *everything* in terms of whether I could build a
synth around it.
 > The short bit length and lack of multiplication are
certainly
 > complications for DSP apps, but perhaps not fatal
ones.

To which on  Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:43:29 -0800
"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxxxx> replied:

 .... For fixed-point DSP, all you
 really need is 24 bits and a way of efficiently
generating a 48-bit sum.
 But a lack of multiplier would be a bit harder to work
around.

Nick here:  Like Gwenhyfaer (is that Welsh for
Guinevere? Jennifer? the juniper tree) I want
to code a synth (hobby).  CF gave me good results on a
550 MHz P2; then I needed
more speed and (unwisely) became impatient with the slow
release of actual SeaForth
hardware in hobbyist format.  So I blithely bought a
3MHz Dual Core Intel PC and am now left scratching my
head how to get CF to find the video on the new super
PCI  (boots with black screen)....

Meanwhile, Sam Falvo reports that Intallasys have
demonstrated mouth-watering hardware:  a synth on a
SeaForth thumbdrive.

http://www.falvotech.com/blog/index.php?/archives/200-Forth-Day-Report.html

Apparently it can play 10 voices of guitar by wave guide
synth (plucked string?).  I hope this gadget (thumbdrive
+ sourcecode) will be available to hobbyists as an
evaluation board, so I can upgrade my present primitive
CF code for string quartet (imagine coding bowed strings
by wave guide syth!).  If it had been available earlier
(and if I had not been so impatient) I would not have
needed to buy that new PC.

Also I am glad to hear from Jeff that voice input is
still on
the agenda; should be a natural for a computer that runs
Forth words (with CF in tone colour?).

Caritas,

Nick Maroudas

--