Re: [colorforth] colorforth 2.0a for stand-alone and Windows use

Ray here.
Neat! Just when I had an ego fit and quit, y'all try to drag me back
in with this excellent implementation of colorForth. ( i'm still
blaming my poor attitude on fun medication. )

Few things yer gonna wanna do when you get your implementation unzipped:

1) after zipping go ahead and create a file called " OkadBack.cf" This
is required for the tutorial to work.

2) In the tutorial go ahead and take your time and properly resize all
of those pics so that the windows DOC program will display smoothly
during scroll. Otherwise you may miss words that flip by between pics
that go by so fast that you don't even know they are there. One thing
that seems to work for me is to be sure that a line of text above and
below the pic is fit in the window properly. This helped navigating
the page. YMMV.

3) Make sure that all of the keyboard options are present in all of
the documentation.
There are places where the letters for the left hand are not all
represented in the docs, mostly in the case of the left hand home row
' c' and also the 'k' below the home row.

4) Use rawwritewin to create a floppy using the OkadWork.cf file. SO
AWESOME TO BE CONGRUENT. Sometimes I wished I still colorForthed. ;-)
Neat to see your work work across platforms.

speaking of which: Reporting that the thing is working just fine in a
2004 Windows xp home addition on a P4 from compaq with no changes at
all. WELL DONE!

5) little trick I learned about saveing work in the original
colorForth for Windows  by Roman and Glypher by Roger Levy:

Before starting a colorforth project go ahead and do an "EDIT--COPY"
or "CTRL-C" followed by a CTRL-V(paste) of any file you'd like to keep
an original and copies of. Doing this consistanly to the current
OkadWork.cf file for instance would:

First time: creates "Copy of OkadWork.cf"
Second time: creates "Copy (2) of OkadWork.cf"
Third time: creates "Copy (3) of OkadWork.cf"

The working file is always OkadWork.cf, but should you corrupt it, you
can all ways go back to the last COPY-PASTE version with the highest (
NUM in parens) and not lose much ground. This has saved my but more
then once.

Typically, I'd sync this file with a removable thumbDrive and that
serves as my ultimate backup.

As to my attitude, I'm looking for competent help. :-)

Much pleasure to you colorCoders and a hearty THANKS LOADS ! to Jeff,
Chuck, and those behind the scene at Intellasys. THIS IS NEAT with a
capital this is neat!

Ray

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Albert van der Horst
<albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 10:58:24AM -0700, Jeff Fox wrote:
> > colorforth list readers:
> >
> > the long awaited colorforth 2 has been released
> >
> > ftp://ftp.ultratechnology.com/ColorForth2.0a.zip
> >
> > It defaults to qwerty mode on boot although changing
> > the word qwerty from yellow color to white color on
> > block 18 and doing a save and warm or restarting
> > will return to the familiar quasi-Dvorak keyboard.
>
> This is great news. In this way a new user can take it
> one step at a time. A learning curve that is less steep
> means more people that can overcome it.
>
> > The editor still uses the old command key layout
> > although new command keys have been added.
> >
> > This is the version that Doug has talked about SVFIG.
> > It comes with documentation and a Windows wrapper.
>
> Official documentation is also beneficial. There were
> times when I started using colorforth that I asked myself
> whether something was intended, or that the installation
> on my system was wrong.
>
> > Enjoy
>
> Groetjes Albert
>
> --
> Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS
> Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters.
> albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst

Raymond St. Marie ii,
colorforthray.info