Re: [colorforth]

Hi Lon, Please accept my appology for answering so late.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Lon <lonman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ray, ( All),
>
> ( I guess I should introduce myself since I haven't posted to this list in a long time. I was originally on the machineforth list,

So, you're the guy. Lol. I didn't even know that list existed 'till
they annouced the departure.

>but it kind of petered out and the activity was starting up on
colorforth. I gave the original 'cf01' version a quick try and it
partially worked -- just the common problem of no video. I was busy
working on a "traditional" forth ( eforth like) and didn't really have
time to invest in it at the time. I have followed along a bit since
then though.)

> So anyway, I second what John said. I think you are a valuable contributor to colorforth/community and have always been willing to jump in and help others. You have collected a lot of good information and pointers to information which is very helpful, especially for newcomers, since a lot of the colorforth info seems to be scattered about all over the place. You seem to have a good overall view of where all the info is and the various colorforth splinters/projects. I have been (mostly lurking) on this list for years and hadn't even heard of CF05 until recently when Jason started getting involved! The recent activity and wealth of info that has been sent out has inspired me to give it another go. I hadn't seen any traffic for quite some time and it is good to see. Whether or not you or anyone else thinks you are a "programmer" I would say poking around in assembly language is more than what many who call themselves "programmers" could do. I think if you've learned anything, whether in forth, "programming", life, PC hardware, web design, etc., then it is not a waste of time. I hope you stick around and your site, too. I would also be willing to send a couple $$ if that will help for the hosting fees.

This is very kind of you. My ego thanks you. :-) There is much left to
document.
Money wise about the site... It's generously hosted and now mirrored
by Charles Childers of Retroforth.com. He's been a great friend over
the years and we seemed to have hit it off rather well. He seems to
have more patience for me when I start to be "creative" with language
and when I make errors. I enjoy his forths as well and recommend that
anyone into minimal Forths get a good look at what Charles is doing to
RetroForth 10 series. By far the most ingenious of his work at this
point is his current muliti-forth layer approach. Starting with a
forth vm written in portable c, that topped by a stand alone forth
system, my opinion the genious part of the new project, called TOKA,
that sits between the vm and the outer RetroForth. By itself, Toka is
very powerfull. I've often thought of writeing colorforth with toka,
and using the Ngaro VM as the basis, this would make the colorforth
very portable as well.

The guys at Intellasys have done an amazing job of it so far as I have
tested and now that Toka-colorForth should remain mostlikely on the
back burner. :-)

> Once I get some time ( yeah, right!) to get started on colorforth, I was going to try to document the learning process and information needed so it might help others get going easier. I don't know if you ( Ray) or someone else on this list, would want to put it on their site ( That is, of course, if it turns out to be something useful ( hopfully! :) ) It might be something to coordinate with Jason with, although I'm not quite sure when I'll start... seems like I'd need a dedicated machine ( or keyboard!) at least.

That sounds like a great idea you have there. The point of view of the
new colorCoder is what I hope most tutorials would start from. Sure,
I'm certain the work could be published at the site. ;-)

> Regards,
>
> Lonnie

Thanks again, Lon, for all of the kind words. I really do appreciate
them, and you. :-)

Ray

--
Raymond St. Marie ii,