Re: [colorforth] Problem with ColorForth 2.0

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:00 AM, John Drake <jmdrake_98@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
-> I may even take the "haters" comment out.  I no longer care what
> folks on a certain newsgroup think.

I agree. Not about the "haters" comment. That just shows you have
personality, imnsho.

I've stopped getting c.l.f and only browse it on occassion, looking
for specific topics or people I can respect.

>>>  But say if someone
>>> wanted to recreate Zork in ColorForth?
>>> It all depends on if your "hello world" program
>>> is an exercise to itself or a building block
>>> for something else you want to do.

I believe or was under the impression that the Hello, World!
"challenge" was an exercise all to itself, hence my position in the
"argument".

Your point is well taken.

> And how do you know I'm not planning on writing a ColorForth
> Zork clone? ;)  Seriously remember when I wrote this I had started
> on my project of translating the "Starting Forth" examples to
> ColorForth.  I realize I haven't finished that yet.  (Got sidetracked
> by various other projects) but if/when I do continue I will need
> to do text output at various stages and frankly looking up codes
> and putting them on the stack in reverse order doesn't do it for
> me.  The "buzzword" phrase generator would be particularly
> painful.
>
> ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Applications/ANS/strtfrth.txt

Okay, now this I had never seen before. Thank you for brining it to my
attention. This will make porting the code over to colorForth a bit
easier.

> Besides, Chucks way to do "Hello World" was to just
> enter it onto an edit screen.  ;)

I don't think that makes his answer wrong. But as I halfway said in
another post, elegant as it may be, it is very limiting for text and
format through out the page. One would still need those text
conversion routines and "x @ (modify) y @ (modify) AT" routines to get
text placed anywhere else on the screen independant of RED word
carriage returns.

One must also realize that Chuck's solution only works with-in the
confines of the editor, while the routines can be used inside and out.

But that also leads to ...

How neat would it be to have such an in-editor proggy working in a
block, say, adjacent to the work you are currently doing. Move over to
that block for what ever reason, to see current output. Move back to
the program you are creating and continue -- all inside the editor!?!

> I should add that the "look up codes" example was helpful in
> understanding how "show" works.

I hope one day you will explain that at the wiki. :-) ( JAPeters style
smile as well, signifying pleasure at the thought of you explaining
your experiance to the rest of us. )

> ... I support Wiki's, blogs
> and whatever we can do to keep folks from redoing what's
> already been done.

ditto... can't say it any better then that.

> Is there a link to the corrected code list?
>
> Regards,
> John M. Drake

If memory holds, and I'm not sure that it does, I had found the fact
that some of the letters were out of order from Chuck's Huffman page
either here in the mailing list, or I can't be sure. :-(   As far as I
know, there is no updated list.

You will find it at the wiki!  :-)

Thanks, John. I do so enjoy these conversations with you and I hope
you also register and become an author of the colorForth Community
blog and wiki. I realize you have your own blog, and I hope you link
it in often.

And that goes for the rest of you, too! :-)

Peace out,
Ray

--
Raymond St. Marie ii,