Re: [colorforth] Adventures with Building Applications

vaded@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed post.
You're welcome.
 I'm also grateful
you shared your experience on this list; our numbers here are small so
anytime someone shares some of their experience I find it very
interesting.
I am hoping that by implementing a version of CF in javascript as well, I can help pull in some converts by making the language more accessible. I just whipped up a simple colored editor this morning, and am now converting it to use the canvas widget so that it has bitmapped graphics support just like the native one. Forth faces many of the same acceptance problems as Smalltalk. Both are older languages, with a rich history of successes and failures, and buck the mainstream when it comes to development style. Smalltalk on the other hand is having a resurgence due to projects like Squeak, Seaside, and gaining some visibility due to projects like Sun's Lively Kernel:

http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/

And if you look at things like VPRI's research, and goal to develop a full software stack in 20k lines of code,

http://vpri.org/

You have a bunch of very smart people who are trying to basically reinvent what Forth has long done, only coming at it from the world of late bound languages with extensible grammars. Most of their time is spent trying to come up with new ways to out clever the problem, by late binding everything, effectively pushing edit and compile time into runtime. A smart aleck would simply hand them one of Chuck's forths on Chuck's hardware and say "Here you're done". But that would just ruin their fun :)

Dave

--

David J. Goehrig

Email: dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx