Re: [colorforth] What's new?

I haven’t touched colorForth since my last post. I’m trying to get to grips with forth on a Z80, which is just now becoming really interesting as is has taken a great deal of time to set up an environment, learn a dead operating system (CP/M, which is far simpler than MS-DOS, but, none the less, it was difficult to find out what I needed) and master the Z80 instruction set (well, not all of it). Suddenly the terms direct and indirect threading make sense, and the pentium doesn’t look so terrible. Also I can see why people design their own Forth processors. Oh and I appreciate the beauty of CREATE DOES> It’s amazing.

In addition I have built a little robot using a PICAXE micro controller with my son, but this chip uses BASIC and just feels hideous to program—it even has GOSUBs and forces a way of thinking that to me now seems unnatural. This is a perfect application for Forth and I am certain that Forth (ideally colorForth) would be a far better choice of a first programming language for children.

I am looking forward to getting back with colorForth, and I hope that Nick has cracked the USB thing.

Jason