[colorforth] Jeff Fox -- you around?

Jeff,

Haven't heard from you for a while on this list.  I have no doubt you're
quite busy.  Hopefully happily so.

I'd be really curious to hear your comments on learning programming in
the current climate.  It seems like a hopeful, interesting time.  Not
that I have any way of knowing, but it seems like several major OEMs are
starting to consider the possibility of using Intellasys's technology.
Wouldn't it be great if one could start their learning of programming on
a seaforth processor and skip the x86 altogether...

Though I always feel slightly contradicted because at the end of the day
what I find I use most is my PC and my Palm Pilot.  There is no Forth
alternative computer system/PDA that fits my needs presently.  I know
you and others have work tirelessly for a long time innovating and
trying to bring a product to market.  I am grateful.

It's hard to think outside of the PC sometimes though when the PC is
there for you at home, there at work, there at your friends and families
place, and in your pocket (indirectly -- as my PDA interfaces with my
PC).   I get what a mess the whole PC world is, but until there is
actually a viable alternative there is some sanity in staying with it.
I recall even yourself and Mr. Moore mentioning that you use the PC for
some purposes (e.g., MIRC).  I'm sure you can relate to my point.  I
recall you saying you're not at all trying to compete with the PC market
at present and are focusing in different areas.

If one is motivated enough to learn they will find a way.  The forth
community is small and fragmented, and the learning resources that are
available online take a bit of effort to find, sort, and understand
(especially for one very new to forth).  There is no modern forth book
for 1X forth.  It's a good thing we have your site (thanks for sharing
with us over the years -- it's obvious a lot of effort went into that).

Is learning programming with the Ventureforth emulator an acceptable
starting point into computing science?

Thanks.