home .. forth .. nosc mail list archive ..

[NOSC] Steamer16 Q&A

> [...]
> JTAG code downloader is integrated with the assembler.
>
> The 5V operating current was measured at 440 mA on the prototype system
> with 2x CY37128 (Steamer16 + I/O), 2x 25 nS SRAMs, and a 40 MHz 2x
> clock oscillator module with the system out of reset and running a real
> application. The situation could be improved by invoking the low-power
> options of the CY37128, downgrading the 1x clock to ~10 MHz, and using
> low-power 70 nS SRAMs, which could be battery backed up to retain code
> and data during the powerdown condition.
>
> The code is not particularly space efficient despite the compact
> instruction encoding due to the heavy incidence of inline literals,
> the primitive instruction set, and NOP, padding statistics.
>
> The software tools are written in a bastard dialect of Forth-79 that I
> have been using since 1990. The assembler proper is lean and mean.
> Colon definitions in an include file are used to implement macros.
>
> Because Steamer16 is not a true Forth chip, and in fact lacks call and
> return instructions, it is necessary to use a re-entrant stack frame
> strategy I call ArF (don't ask unless you have a sense of humor) which
> is a hybrid between Forth and C under the hood. A call is implemented
> as a sequence of 7 instructions, a return is 5 instructions, and a read
> or write indexed into the stack frame is 5 instructions. The coding
> style that inevitably results can be considered bad Forth that
> over-uses static variables and the PICK operator, but on the other
> hand relieves the programmer of optimizing the order of operands on
> the stack or resorting to the use of stack reordering operators. ArF
> mandates preservation of the input arguments: the results are
> appended to the list and the calling parent is solely responsible for
> building up or tearing down the stack frame as in C, therefore Forth
> operators like DUP, OVER, and R@ are not required. The on-chip
> evaluation stack is nevertheless used for bursts of Forth-like
> activity until it is appropriate to write an intermediate or final
> result to the stack frame or a static variable. The fine-grained
> subroutine factoring that is one of Forth's major strengths is not
> as attractive as it is with a true Forth chip, but there are some
> compensations and opportunities for optimization that are unique
> to the Steamer16/ArF genre. I have experimented enough with the
> software end of things to come to discover that agonizing over
> shaving off a cycle or two from a subroutine is very seldom
> worthwhile and sometimes, very surprisingly, retrograde. I believe
> this is due to the instruction alignment statistics, which are
> deterministic but difficult to exactly predict as one is writing
> code. This is not to say that the programmer should not be
> performance-conscious, but rather that the straightforward ArF macros
> offer _pretty_good_ runtime performance. The more I use it the more I
> like it, and it beats the snot out of any off-the-shelf CPU that I

Exiting.

I'd heard a prominent Forther was thinking of doing a one-stack Forth, and
I thought he was BSing me, but if the one stack was the parameter stack
that would explain it. Your instruction counts for call/return are about
proportional to how long one near call instruction actually takes on a 386
anyway, since it's at some level doing the same things.

CLD DD Clear Direction Flag

Opcode    Instruction     Clocks   Description

FC        CLD             2        Clear direction flag; SI and DI
                                   will increment during string
                                   instructions

E8  cw    CALL rel16       7+m            Call near, displacement relative
                                          to next instruction
			   ^^^best case timing

Linux has 60% more calls than returns. That's probably a LOT of functions
that are in fact inline code that's being called. The subroutine threaded
H3sm has 3 times the calls as returns though, since all thread words are
mostly calls. If I did hardware I'd be looking into what I was talking to
Jan Coombs about almost always doing a call on each instruction
fetch. Then you can maybe get the return stack activity in parallel.

Rick Hohensee
www.clienux.com