[ColorForth] Supported Hardware

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, [ISO-8859-1] "António José Gomes" wrote:
> (I still have to make it start on my machines.... It doesn't start
> in the initial version and I had not yet the time to figure out
> the necessary changes to make it boot)

This seems to be a common occurrence, which I find really odd considering
that I have yet to find a machine that it hasn't worked on.  Every time we
get a new machine at work, I toss the floppy in just to check.

If you're looking for a fairly cheap development machine, shop around for
a motherboard put out by PC Chips, the 754LMR I think.  Onboard TNT2,
sound, and Ethernet, usually runs about $100 USD, probably less now.  Shop
at the low-end stores and you're bound to run into a shop that uses them.

Coincidentally, it's also nearly the same hardware that's in the machine
put out by ThinkNIC ( http://www.thinknic.com ), and the ThinkNIC CD boots
and runs without a hitch.  The ThinkNIC would be fun, too.  It can be
picked up for $200 sans monitor, but unfortunately there's no floppy
connector on the motherboard.  Some solder could fix that, though.  Or, if
we had working USB, maybe we would get colorForth to boot from CD-ROM (has
anyone tried this yet?  Or, netbooting the colorForth image?) or even BIOS
(the LinuxBIOS team has started work on this machine, I think) and leave
storage off-machine.

Also, has anyone run colorForth on a Cyrix, VIA or AMD chip yet?  Any
quirks or problems?  The VIA C3 can run fanless, and I've been considering
a colorForth/ThinkNIC development box that's nearly silent....  ;)

-Jack