[ColorForth] colorForth ~popularity

--- Mark Slicker <maslicke@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Tin Bee wrote:
>
> > any body on the list read the fountainhead?
> because my
> > post will be in that vein.
> >
> > i have been hearing lots of talk about popularity,
> the
> > population still consist of individuals, there is
> no
> > way a population can make decisions, decisions are
> > made by individuals, popularity is mearly the
> amalgam
> > of many decisions, and thus in and of itself lacks
> > integrity, lacks a central theme.
> >

> I don't understand argument, can't software be both
> immensely popular and
> technically excelent?

yes, given that the software is technicaly excelent,
it will generate a certain amount of popularity, but
notice the line of cause and effect, It is a matter of
intent if you intend to use an object because of its
potential benifit to you, then popularity is moot, if
you intend to use an item because everyone else is,
then you are not making a decision.

> > anyone who aserts that you must follow the pack is
> > second-hander and a second-rater, terified of
> making a
> > dicision for them self.
> >

> Popularity does not always imply following the pack.
> What if something is
> plainly good, and everyone likes it?

yes, popularity as an effect is perfectly ok, I was
adressing popularity as a cause.