[colorforth] Boot Tip for ASUS P2 with Rage 128

From: Alice Maroudas <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: CFMail <mdaemon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: subscribe ColorForth
Date: יום חמישי 13 יוני 2002 12:20

subscribe ColorForth

> Dear Martin,
>
> Thanks to Chuck & Jeff for giving simplicity back to Forth -
   and to all you good people for helping us newbies.

>  Boot Tip for  ASUS P2 with Rage 128
>
> I have not seen this tip in the mailist,  but after failing miserably with
the
> July31/2001 color.com (which includes the Terry Loveall strobe for Asus)
> by the usual procedures (reboot warm from MSWindows, or make bootdisc
  via MS Debug or Linux dd)  I finally managed to run CF and make reliable
  bootdiscs by starting at the opposite end - by bypassing MSWin startup!

  I reboot Win98 - from warm or after powerdown makes no difference -
  and keep tapping F8 to interrupt startup.
  From the Win Startup Menu I choose the LOWEST option:

>         ' Safe Mode, Command Line only '.

This answers with the message:

>        ' Windows is bypassing its startup files '
>
 > I put a floppy with color.com  in the drive, then type     a:>
'color.com'

The  CF Logo comes up in 2-3 seconds   ... and away I go!

> So in this case it seems that the Asus board was initially set good for
CF.
> And Win98 added something from its startup files that made MSDOS
> produce bootdiscs with fail symptoms (blank screen  /  hungup floppy).
>
>> The bootdisc that I made under Win98 on this machine also boots my
> second Asus P2, which is running under Linux.  Also a Gateway 500 MHz.
    But not a Compaq P3 866 MHz.

Nick