[ColorForth] Boot Tip for ASUS with Rage 128

 Thanks to Chuck & Jeff for giving simplicity back to Forth -
   and to all you good people for helping a newbie.

>  Boot Tip for  ASUS P2 with Rage 128
>
> I have not seen this tip in the archives.   After failing with the usual
procedure
(run color.com in Win98 or MSDOS mode and "save" then reboot warm from
MSWindows, or make bootdisc via MSDOS Debug)  I finally made reliable
bootdiscs
by starting at the opposite end - bypassing MicroSoft Windows startup files!

  I reboot Win98 from warm or after powerdown - makes no difference -
  and keep tapping F8 to interrupt Windows and get the startup menu.
  From this Win Startup Menu I choose the LOWEST option:

>         ' Safe Mode, Command Line only '.

This answers with the message:

>        ' Windows is bypassing its startup files '
>
 > I put a floppy with color.com  in the drive, then type

a:>  color.com  <enter>

The  CF Logo comes up in 2-3 seconds.  After that it's standard
procedure - insert a fresh disc and type Qwerty  "save".

>> The bootdiscs that I make under Win98 on this machine also reboot my
> second Asus P2 warm from Linux.  Also a Gateway 500 MHz from cold;
likewise a Titan P4 board.  But not a Compaq P3 866 MHz.

> It seems to me that Win98 added something from its startup files which
caused DOS
to make bootdiscs with the usual fail symptoms (blank screen  and/or  hungup
floppy).

>I am glad I was able to get into ColorForth so simply.  I now hope that
it's "onesy"
and "interrupts off" simplicity will finally enable me to solve a problem
that baffled me
when I used a good "portable" DOS-based Forth.  My problem is:  how to
produce
accurate musical tones direct from the keyboard (no files, no DMA) without
any "wobble" from all those mysterious DOS interrupts.

Nick