Re: [colorforth] colorforth in the bochs

On Monday 25 November 2002 01:41, Bob Shafer wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Alex Thiel wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > for those of you who are interested in writing hardware drivers for
> > colorForth: I have got it to run in the bochs, an open source x86
> > emulator.
> >
> > That's all I can think of at the moment. If someone wants to try this and
> > has problems with the setup, feel free to mail anytime.
>
> I gave it a try. Bochs seems to be working and colorforth might be
> running, but I can't see it. Bochs runs to a VGA emulation in X-windows.

In such a case, when you don't know what colorForth is doing, I found the
bochs debugger support very useful. If you configure with --enable-debugger
(IIRC) you can press Ctrl-C in the console while running colorForth and bochs
will tell you which instruction it is executing at the moment. (You will have
to press "c" to start the simulation, see the manual for details.) Having the
assembler generate a list file (e.g. 'as -a color.s >color.lst') helps.

> ColorForth is expecting to run 1024x768 (although with only 16 colors, if
> I understand what you did properly), but VGA isn't 1024x768, is it?
>
> So, I guess I'm missing a step...?
>
> Any hints? :-)

When you generate the fd.img, make sure you use logo8.blk.
And could you send a copy of your .bochsrc file?

Alex