Re: [colorforth] nasm

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 21:03, Peter Appelman wrote:
> Just finished uploading:
> color.asm
> boot.asm
> gen.asm
> color.bin
> color.com
> read.me
> to http://www.thelma-louise.net/
>
> These are changed from the originals to assemble with Nasm.
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/nasm>
>
> Why nasm?
> I like it, it is very simple. Does not assume stuff. Needs to be told the
> size of the operands most of the time. Which is a plus in my opinion.
> Better control of the output.
> No ambiguity if it is an address or the contents, you control it.
>
> I managed to stuff the vesa code in the boot sector with one tiny,
> little change to the code. The logic of the boot code was not changed; not
> a single byte available.
> And, with sincere apologies to Chuck Moore. I have made this with a
> regular keyboard layout.
>
> It is new, but seems to be working ok. The kernel has not been changed
> much. There is a small change in 'pad'. See the read.me
>
> As it took a little bit to get used to the special keyboard layout, it
> takes a little bit to unlearn it again.
> But at least I will not have to be staring at the bottom of the screen to
> check which character I have to type next. That was getting in the way
> between what I was thinking of and what I was entering on the screen.

That's really great. I quite like NASM and wanted to try and port the code
over to it. Thanks for you effort.

Personally, however, I also liked the old keyboard layout. Do you have some
tools to convert the sources? If so, I would like to port the old keyboard
driver and make it available as a compile option.

Cheers,
	Alex