RE: [colorforth] modern block style / response

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Fréderic DUBOIS wrote:
>
> > 	Hello again list,
> >
> > Could someone be so kind to describe me the implementation
> of blocks in CF?
> Always nice to see other forth's  ;-)

I try to put it online: http://www.membres.lycos.fr/astrobe
I'm not sure it works right know.

> I thought I would tell you what I know about block and CF.
> In old forth's block was used to access disk room.
> In CF block is used in the same way. But it treats the ram
> as it would've the disk.
>
> At boot time a variable nc, holds the value of how
> many tracks are read into the ram blocks. The ram is 32MB
> worth of blocks.
> When talking of Chuck's original release.

And these tracks are loaded at address given by BLOCK, is it?

> When editing as an example, one is changing things in ram
> often using block.
> When finished changing things, one issues a save command to
> write all (nc)
> number of tracks back out to the floppy. Block can address of
> course much
> more than the maximum capacity of the floppy. The nc variable
> for Chuck's CF
> is initialized to 9 tracks. to use more adjust the nc
> variable and do a
> save or edit the color.asm file.

9* 10 sectors per track= 45KB ?!
I suppose that save writes it all, so there's no more UPDATE.
Also I suppose that BLOCK takes care to map the block away far the kernel.

> This is a real short description,
> If you would like more info, I will mail more. You are also
> welcome to join #c4th on the IRCnet. This chat channel is dedicated
> to colorforth. Real intrested to see how you adapt this given your 64k
> ram space.

Thanks. I'll proceed online if you don't mind. I think we can afford that
given the activity of this list. About IRC I'm affraid I can't join because
of our firewall.
About the adaptation I think I have to implement a kind of overlap.
Let's say... I reserve the 32 upper KB for this while the lower ram is for
workspace. To map another group of 32 blocks I would have to have a special
word, say SECTION. Of course we should do SAVE before. It seems to me that
SECTION is a kind of (old) BLOCK on a larger scale. Maybe there's something
better to do?