Re: [colorforth] modern block style / response

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Fréderic DUBOIS wrote:

> 	Hello again list,
>
> Could someone be so kind to describe me the implementation of blocks in CF?
> I would like to adapt it if possible on my personnal Forth system. In order
> to guide somewhat the description, I precise that my system is intended to
> run on any 80x86; my workspace is limited to 64KB ( currently I use the
> remaining memory for disk-caching). It is an old-style Forth ( in Jeff Fox's
> terminalogy -- actually I think it would have been a nice system... 20 years
> ago :) featuring some modern ideas of CF ( tail recursion, no smudging,
> reduced control-flow wordset).
>
> 	Regards.

Always nice to see other forth's  ;-)
I thought I would tell you what I know about block and CF.
In old forth's block was used to access disk room.
In CF block is used in the same way. But it treats the ram
as it would've the disk.

At boot time a variable nc, holds the value of how
many tracks are read into the ram blocks. The ram is 32MB worth of blocks.
When talking of Chuck's original release.

When editing as an example, one is changing things in ram often using block.
When finished changing things, one issues a save command to write all (nc)
number of tracks back out to the floppy. Block can address of course much
more than the maximum capacity of the floppy. The nc variable for Chuck's CF
is initialized to 9 tracks. to use more adjust the nc variable and do a
save or edit the color.asm file.

This is a real short description,
If you would like more info, I will mail more. You are also
welcome to join #c4th on the IRCnet. This chat channel is dedicated
to colorforth. Real intrested to see how you adapt this given your 64k
ram space.

Hoping to have helped,

Tim Neitz.