Re: [colorforth] Significant work

On Thu, 8 May 2003, marrandy wrote:

> Hello.
>
> A debatable question, perhap's, but is anyone doing anything new, expanding
> the code base of ColorForth.
>
> Please update us  :-)
>
> Regards...Martin

Martin, Tim here.

The following falls more in the "expanding code base" category, Than
in the "significant work" category. It describes a colorforth application
named cfvt52.

Peter Appelman and myself have been working on a vt52 emulator for
colorforth. Our goal on a longer term is vt100 emulation forming a
telnet client. Currently, it makes use of the serial port and
acts as a terminal, for as an example a unix machine.

At this point the program is quite complete and useable for vt52 emulation.
I use a colorforth workstation now for most of my work. This was my original
motivation. I can run most unix text mode utilities some examples are: bash,
telnet, ssh, less, man, screen, vi, elm, mutt, irc and lynx. What this has
mainly gotten me, is that now I am able to use colorforth +- 40 hours a
week. This was only +-4 hours a week previously.

Some of the things that might be usefull to others are:

80x25 kernel font. (based on Peter's nasm cmcolor.asm)
cfvt52 also has it's own internal 80x25 font.
both have an extended character set.

It uses an interrupt driven recieve buffer.
allowing baud rates of 115200 easily.

It also uses a keyboard driver that is in high level colorforth
code. It supplies the needed "normal" keyboard layout for cfvt52.
It is also interrupt driven.

There are words for diplaying ascii data that might be usefull to others.

At this point it is mostly undocumented, I would be willing to document
the code, if I thought others were interested in it.
I have been reluctant to do this because of upcoming changes.

If you have a use for this code, or parts of it feel free to reach
me at tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or via irc #c4th on the IRCnet.

The code itself can be found at:
http://www.dnd.utwente.nl/~tim/colorforth/cfvt52

I would also like to thank Mark Slicker for his help, He supplied the basis
for the keyboard driver. And helped me get a start in colorforth
conceptually.

And of course, Dr. Moore for his outstanding contributions to the
field of computer science.

With kind regards,

Tim Neitz.
#c4th on IRCnet