Re: [colorforth] Self modifying system and bochs

--- Sten Kvamme <skvamme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
> How compares ColorForth to Forth if I would like my
> app to modify its
> own code and save its state?

Sten,

Hello again. :)

Earlier in the list (you can read the list archive at
http://www.strangegizmo.com/forth/ColorForth/ ) there
was some discussion about adding CREATE DOES> either
defining it in a colorForth block or adding it to the
kernel. This would give you the self modifying
behaviour pretty cheaply.

As for saving state. All we need to do is create a
word to save the dictionary, the blocks, the two
stacks and the state of a couple of kernel variables.
The "save" word already does most of it. Maybe we
could call our word "pickle" or "freeze" as a nod to
those who have gone before. :)

The bigger question will really be implementation
specific. You'll have to decide what kind of storage
and boot media you want to use. Chuck mentioned
earlier in the list that he's working on bootable USB
thumbdrives. Of course "media" could be a pretty broad
category. I'm still holding out for bootable
self-contained electronic paper. Because most other
display technologies are just plain silly.

http://www2.parc.com/dhl/projects/gyricon/

I'll take a look at "pickle" this weekend when I fly
home. I still haven't had any luck getting
"vesa-chuck-8bit" to boot under Bochs so I can't work
with Forth during the week when I'm onsite just yet.

=====
Help establish a reputation economy
by rating the value of this post:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=BillGlover