RE: Re(3): [colorforth] abort

> > I agree that they are different contexts, but I don't feel
> it has much to
> > do with the distinction between open and closed systems. I
> think the user
> > demographics targeted by iTV and colorForth/OKAD,
> respectively, play a
> > considerably bigger role in defining the context of development.
>
> The customers define the requirements for the applications,
> not the programming
> environment.  This is a critical distinction, one which most
> language vendors
> seem to forget.  One of the things that a customer will
> absolutely mandate is,
> "The system must *never* crash."

I think the the distinction in this example is not between or closed, but
at specification level. In one case you have full control, in the other case
not.
For instance, you may want to communicate with other computers thru an
Ethernet-based LAN. In this case you can do your drivers and your own
communication protocol and it is a matter of maybe 1KB. If you have to go
thru a WAN then you need a TCP/IP stack because and it becomes 10KB.

> --
> Samuel A. Falvo II

 Amicalement,
  Frederic