Re: [colorforth] DOES> How is colorForth different from other Forths?

Bon jour, Frederic,

>> Wait! Wait! let me answer to that.
>> Of course nobody has ever thought of these problems because Mickeysoft
>> solves the problems it creates.

Well, I'd not like to start a "M$ vs progressive mankind" flamewar here.
But actually MS does not produce very bad quality products, _sometimes_
better than competitors' ones (there are examples, but let's not start a
discussion here please).

What I don't like it that analytical and technical information is being
hidden, and there's lots of sales and marketing junk available, but almost
no real imformation. Almost everyone talks about their products, but there
are almost no independent analysis and reviews. Maybe it's because of US
legal system when it's better to keep mouth your shut :)

Some topics: comparison of Win32 vs POSIX APIs; DirectX vs (what
alternatives exist there?); PDF vs PostScript vs DPS vs GDI; CORBA vs its
absense; exceptions -- why they are good (not good). Well, in addition to
comparison i'd like to read a series of books with a subtitle "Opinions of
different people on how to do things right"  -- different (but good, at
least for their sincere proponents) approaches to do things. With
explanations why their way is better. Many people just do not have real
knowledge of how things work and should work (an example -- for many
programmers knowledge of multithreading is limited to "synchronized"
keyword)

It's actually state of the art and education system question where lots of
infromation does not exist in "for dummies" form :) Also, much information
exists in descriptive form, w/o analysis, what is maybe good for gurus, but
not for inexperienced reader (like me). Well, and opinions about what we
need all these technologies for? To increase GNP?

Also, because of lack of clear understanding of ColorForth message (let me
use this marketing term here), we waste lots of time for discussion of
unimportant details, etc.

I would like to try to use it in real world (commercial) applications
(currently -- a distributed control system, 100+ nodes to be more precise),
but there should be real reasons not to use C++ and TCP/IP and files --
though it's so bloated, PC/104 format card with Cyrix/VIA 600MHz processor
is 20 or 30 bucks more expensive than one with AMD 133, and performance
really differs 5-20 times. So, Forth could be really useful when there would
be proof that it's _much_ smaller and yields much cleaner code, and allows
using much more powerful coding templates (though Chuck hates this word, I
mean "template" as a way of communicating knowledge from mnaster to
aprentice. This does not replace thinking, though!), _real_ proof that code
quality will be higher, showing that CF's approach is closer to satisfying,
say, NASA or IEC safety standards than C and ANS Forth, whatever.

[...]
> My 2eurocents :)
>
>> ( Just out of curiosity, where are you living?)

70 km to the east from current EU border -- L'viv, Ukraine. Though I like
travelling :)

Btw, I tried to write a MachineForth-like assembler for JPB's ForthCORE
(http://jpb.forth.free.fr) when I had some free time. (Don't think it's a
complete offtopic here since it's a F21 in FPGA, and F21 is somewhat related
to cf)

>> Amicalement,
>> Frederic

BR,