Re: [colorforth] DOES> How is colorForth different from other Forths?

--- "Roman Pavlyuk (personal)" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Some topics: comparison of Win32 vs POSIX APIs;
> DirectX vs (what
> alternatives exist there?);

OpenGL

> vs GDI; CORBA vs its
> absense;

CORBA can be compared with COM, SOAP and XMLRPC.
In fact the OReily book on XMLRPC does a very
good job of this.  Also you can find more here:

http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/xmlrpc-howto/xmlrpc-howto.html

XMLRPC is to CORBA as machineForth is to C++.
You can understand XMLRPC in about an hour.
(I don't know how long it takes to understand
CORBA, but I still don't get it and I've even
written a CORBA IDL parser in Oberon).  SOAP
is the "ANSI Forth" of this group.  As one of
the XMLRPC gurus puts it:

"Basically, if you like XML-RPC, but wish
the protocol had more features, check out SOAP."

> exceptions -- why they are good (not good).

Good: They give you a flexible way to deal
with other peoples problems.

Bad: Possible create a false sense of security?
(Hey, I've caught all of the exceptions in this
code, so it must be bug free right?)

> Also, because of lack of clear understanding of
> ColorForth message (let me
> use this marketing term here), we waste lots of time
> for discussion of
> unimportant details, etc.
>
> I would like to try to use it in real world
> (commercial) applications
> (currently -- a distributed control system, 100+
> nodes to be more precise),
> but there should be real reasons not to use C++ and
> TCP/IP and files --
> though it's so bloated, PC/104 format card with
> Cyrix/VIA 600MHz processor
> is 20 or 30 bucks more expensive than one with AMD
> 133, and performance
> really differs 5-20 times.

Sounds like a fun project.  And it's important to
see projects like this done too.  Yes okad II is
impressive, but people can always say "well of
course Chuck can do something interesting with
it".  And while I am impressed with much of the
code other hobbyists have submitted, it would
be nice to have another example of something
someone got PAID to do.

Keep us informed of how it's going.  I imagine
you'll use UDP for the communication?  (Since
that's already working)  What kind of things
are you controlling?  Perhaps as a "community"
we can help get this thing off the ground?

> Btw, I tried to write a MachineForth-like assembler
> for JPB's ForthCORE
> (http://jpb.forth.free.fr) when I had some free
> time. (Don't think it's a
> complete offtopic here since it's a F21 in FPGA, and
> F21 is somewhat related
> to cf)

Hey, I'd forgotten about that site!  Great that it
now has an emulator.  I'll check it out.

Regards,

John M. Drake