[colorforth] How is colorForth different from other Forths?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Arthur W. Green wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> >As you say, forths tend to be reliable.But (talking of minor niggles)
> >can anyone tell me why CF hangs up when I try to use long words which show
> >up on stack as a number that includes a space character 20h?Is this some
> >subtle inducement to brevity?
> >
> >PSMy son has driven a Mazda for years and just loves it.
> >
> Oh, I am sure the Mazda is fine. I'm just poking at the British sports
> car "thing".
>
> Best wishes,
> -- Art

  Hi again, Art

  The Mazda is fine but most times I take the bus of course.

  Re the CF hangup, on second thought the appearance of a space character
was symptom not cause.  It happened specifically when I defined a pair of
words namely  codec@ and codec!   which just happened to spill over the
27-bit limit so as to break up into a double pair of Huffman coded numbers
(when typed in red) namely  91e04900 7a  and  91e04900 7c.  The two bytes
7a & 7c are pure Huffy for  @ and !  so I suppose the doubleword 91e04900
must represent  codec  and, being the same word in both cases, might have
confused the interpreter.  Chuck's brief writeup says that only the first
27bit Huffy gets interpreted in a long name.  Presumably this hangup would
not have happened in Terry's version of CF, which uses an orthodox ASCII
scan along the whole word; on the other hand, I guess CF's numerical
interpreter goes faster.

  Happy driving!

  Nick