[colorforth] Tutorial Re: Re(2): [colorforth] DOES> How is colorForth different from other Forths?

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Arthur W. Green wrote:

<SNIP>
> I agree that the production of a tutorial or some groundwork
> documentation is necessary. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of a
> very-abbreviated "Thinking Forth"-like tutorial, which explains how to
> best maximize the facilities provided by colorForth and the MISC
> architecture it "emulates". I think this would make an excellent
> supplement to any documentation showing a new user around colorForth, as
> I think it eludes most of the folks on this list.

I would much appreciate a tutorial. It would be much more
in the vein of Starting Forth than Thinking Forth.

Come up with some very simple problems and show how it is coded
in colorforth.
Like Mary's egg-farm. 6 eggs per box. Now you have 17 eggs, how
many boxes and how many eggs left?
(Classical Forth answer: /MOD . In colorforth? ).
Then have a check whether all words are covered.
Marcel Hendrix has revamped Starting Forth (in behalf of
ISO Forth) and one could use snips of that instead of typing
oneself. YES. An equivalent of the whole text of Starting Forth
is on the net. At least it is an excellent frame work.
Be careful (like Brody) to make the tutorial fully stand alone.
If you can't resist, use html links to refer to possible
remarks about compatibility and such.

I will not work on this, that is not until I have finished the first
task I have set myself regards colorforth. That is increasing the
percentage of computers it runs on until that includes at least one of
my computers :-(

> -- Art

        One man-hour to invent,
                One man-week to implement,