Re: [colorforth] Unused character encodings available in Colorforth

I thought about smaller source code for network transmission.
I want to know first how to program for the pci bus.
I know it uses memory, and tehre are control registers,
accessed by what it seems as the North word in colorforth.

Is the info in the udp code released a while ago?

I would love to have a source editor itself made form source,
that would fit in 512 bytes, along with the MBR/BIOS/boot image
that would contain the compiler itself. It would truly be an interpreter,
with AHA style dynamic compilation, that would use indexes instead
of words once they are defined, and would execute the unpacked code)

I would love to do "guerilla programming"
here for volunteer work, by giving people
freedom in their houses, in their businesses.

Adam

Chuck Moore wrote:

The 0 0000 character code indicates end-of-word. With characters packed into
32-bit words, zeros are also used as fill if 28 bits aren't used.

But I had in mind to parse/unparse words as they move from/to disk or
Internet. That is, the parsed 32-bit words are converted to a bit stream.
Then the only zeros would be the end-of-word code. It is then the most
frequently used code and deserves a 5-bit length.

I've never gotten around to doing this, but guess maybe a 50% compression
results. Anyone want to try it?

After the end-of-word, I'd append the 4-bit tag. These could be
length-encoded, but it doesn't seem worth the effort.

I'd also use an empty word (an extra 0 0000) to indicate end-of-block or
end-of-text.