Re: [colorforth] DARPA takes aim at IT sacred cows

On Friday 12 March 2004 11:41 am, John Drake wrote:
> "The packet network paradigm probably needs to change," Gibson said.
> "I'm not advocating throwing out the Internet Protocol completely, but
> we must absolutely have some mechanism for assigning network
> capabilities to different users and that capability has to scale to
> large numbers of devices automatically. The commander wants to be able
> to send a message and have it delivered, completely, accurately and on
> time."

The problem is, packet-switched networks are the most reliable way to
accomplish this goal.  Circuit-switched networks certainly do have their
advantages, make no mistake.  But the problem with circuit switching is
very simple: for every user who gains access to the network resources,
there is one user who is denied (assuming full network capacity), which
thoroughly defeats the purpose of DARPA's initiative.  Packet switching
networks typically don't have this problem.

What needs to be discarded, plain and simple, is CSMA/CD (e.g., the
Ethernet way of doing things).  CSMA is problematic no matter what, and
CD doesn't do a thing to actively avoid collisions.  CSMA/CA is far
superior in every respect, and even better still, is DAMA.  DAMA (and
its very close relative, token ring [with or without early token
release]) offer near 100% network utilization factors, while avoiding
collisions completely.  DAMA has the advantage over token ring in that
it can prioritize node traffic, and therefore, can implement quality of
service rivaling any ATM network.  Token ring is somewhat easier to
implement though.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II