Re: [colorforth] DARPA takes aim at IT sacred cows

> The ham nets tend to emphasize communication where the quantity is
> inversely proportational to the distance, I believe.  Long haul tends
> to be a different channel.

Only because amateur radio has *never* had a real internetwork to speak
of.  99% of all amateur radio operators, even those who regularly use
packet radio, still insist that 1200bps AX.25 is all anyone would ever
need, and digipeaters represent the latest, greatest in technology.

For what it's worth, however, many of the largest ham nets in existance
are in Europe, and many networks cover the *whole country*, and have a
fair number of links to other countries as well.

So, it depends on what you mean by "long haul."  When working with radio,
that concept rarely has any real significance unless you're talking
about DX.

> Hopefully the FCC will continue to be benevolent regarding non-
> licensed spread spectrum bandwidth.  But the opposing forces are
> gathering because they know it means they lose cotrol again.

They're so benevolant that they have gleefully have eaten into amateur
radio spectrum *without* providing replacement spectrum.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II