Re: [colorforth] DARPA takes aim at IT sacred cows

--- "Samuel A. Falvo II" <kc5tja@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 03:08 pm, John Drake wrote:
> > Linux isn't invurnerable either.  He might be
>
> Yes it is.  It's the *services* that run *under*
> Linux that is
> vulnerable.  I can't think of a *single* exploit
> under Linux that
> doesn't involve the server software itself, somehow.
>
> I raise this point because it's far, far easier to
> retrofit (or start
> from scratch) new server software than it is to
> develop a totally secure
> operating system from scratch.

Perhaps we are using the word "vunerable"
differently.  Some operating systems are designed
such that it's difficult to write "vunerable"
programs.  Anyway most of exploits I've seen for
MS-Windows are in some program running on Windows.
(Countless IIS problems, Exchange and Outlook
problems, and now Internet Explorer problems).

Regards,

John M. Drake