Re: [colorforth] DARPA takes aim at IT sacred cows

On Saturday 13 March 2004 07:49 pm, John Drake wrote:
> Perhaps we are using the word "vunerable"
> differently.  Some operating systems are designed
> such that it's difficult to write "vunerable"
> programs.  Anyway most of exploits I've seen for
> MS-Windows are in some program running on Windows.
> (Countless IIS problems, Exchange and Outlook
> problems, and now Internet Explorer problems).

Very true.  Windows NT's kernel is *very* secure (arguably more secure
than Unix is, in fact, since it's based on true ACLs, and not a
restricted User/Group/Owner subset of the concept).  Also, it employs
role-based security, which is usually easier to manage than a per-user
system (NT's security lets you do both if you wished, though).

Still, the application software have to be written to interface to this
system.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II