Re: [colorforth] /. and the new bios

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Pavel Podvoiski wrote:

> Mmm, did you _actualy_ tried to read data sheets for north/south bridge? ;)
> I did, and find out that PC industry left me faaaaar behind. :(

I've read the BX chipset documentation. The PC is not simple, but
practical examples help. I suppose I should amend my previous statement,
device code can be very iluminating written in Chuck Moore's style.
Unfortunately the Linux style is much more popular.

colorForth does in fact address the north bridge. The part handled by the
BIOS, I believe, is assigning memory and i/o spaces for each device and
assigning interrupt lines to each card. The standard interfaces provided
by the bios would not be needed if you not care about legacy software.

Mark