Re: [colorforth] /. and the new bios

"Samuel A. Falvo II" <kc5tja@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sunday 20 June 2004 10:42 am, Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:
>> You're right about that....although I prefer email lists like this
>> over BB (so long as they have archives).
>
> Is there really any practical difference?

Yes, IMHO my tools, e.g. Gnus, are much better for lists.  Although
some of the fora are still text oriented, the web fora, like Yahoo
Groups, are terrible.  Slow, too much navigation, no filtering, etc.
I get my Yahoo group by email.

>> Well, given the software systems I use and develop on a daily basis,
>> it would be a pain to go back to 52Kbit downloads.  It's not unusual
>> to download 100 MB for an update.
>
> You seem to be mistaken about the correlation of bandwidth versus
> point-to-point connections.  There is nothing inherent in a
> circuit-switched connection that mandates that low a throughput.  Or am
> I missing something?

I was referring to the situation where we had to go back to dial-up.
Is there a way to connect DSL to DSL? (Assuming I could get DSL, which
I can't.)  Maybe ISDN is useable in that situation?  But generally,
I thought dial-up was limited to 56Kb/sec.  I'm getting 3 -4 Mb/sec
down with cable.

>> regarding a more efficient Forth-based net not using TCP/IP.  It's
>> not clear to me that great improvements in efficiency are actually
>> possible on non-switched channels, though.
>
> They are readily improvable.  IP is a *great* protocol.  TCP is a horrid
> protocol.  On any network link with 5% packet loss or more, TCP all but
> bails out of any connection.  This is why TCP is *horrible* for use on
> wireless networks, where the average packet loss will almost certainly
> be closer to 20% just because of natural phenomina, and not due to
> tampering or signal strength issues.

OK, I'll bite.  What's a good replacement for TCP in a wireless application?

--
KBK