Re: [colorforth] Re-connecting

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Terry Loveall wrote:

The Explorer wannabe file manager has no cognate in colorForth so we will just
pass on that for now. BTW Just how does one manage downloadable content, web
pages, cache and hundreds of megabytes of email on colorForth?

One doesn't at present. If I extrapolate my experience with colorForth, I believe all Chuck's data (his chip designs, all colorForth code), fits within that first megabyte of space, so there is a 1:1 correspondence between the state of floppy and the first megabyte of memory. Sitting on the edge of the first megabyte are the stacks and floppy buffer on the interior and the dictionary space on the exterior. So actually Chuck uses less than megabyte, given my experience, probably a lot less.

I think it is a reasonable assumtion, that all essential programs can fit in a relatively small finite ammount of space. Data is another story, emails individually are pretty small, when you have thousands this adds up to megabytes easily. And there is really no need to have every email in memory, memory can be better used at present. If you don't have the data in memory, that means it is on a disk or some permanent storage, and this implies some method of organization, perhaps with an indexing scheme for fast access.

Mark