Re: [colorforth] Re-connecting

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, marrandy wrote:

On Friday 11 February 2005 21:55, Mark Slicker wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, John Drake wrote:
pop3 is tcp

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html

Pop 3 can run on tcp or udp.

The RFC is pretty informal, it doesn't explicitly require TCP, however the
only description of its operation is based on TCP connections.

In other words, I see how someone could get confused seeing reference to pop3 running on udp. I didn't mean to be polemical or to sugest a method of using pop3 other than what is written in the RFC.

Mark

rfc1939.3. Basic Operation

  Initially, the server host starts the POP3 service by listening on
  TCP port 110.

How much more explicit do you want it.  Plus the fact that pop3 is set to
listen on tcp 110 when you configure you mail servers, not udp.

But anyway, have it your own way.  You can try talking to mail servers on port
25 udp if you wish, or time servers on port 123 tcp and pretty much breach
every other RFC for connecting to systems by flipping between tcp and udp and
vice versa.  I think you will find the results unsatisfactory.

But it's a free world.  Go ahead and enjoy yourselves.  I would have thought
it would be more productive to google pop3, smtp or whatever service you are
planning to write for, find the relevant RFC, find out the port/s and
requirements to ensure inter-operability ie. connect correctly, give the
correct codes and transfer data correctly instead of tilting at windmills.

There are 65,355 ports, all of which have tcp and udp.  It's the RFC's that
set the standard for mutual communication.  Ignore them at your peril.

Anyway, I'm tired of this silliness.  I've been around computers for 28-years
and the internet for 20/21years and running servers for over 10-years.  I
know most of the RFC's pretty well and can quote significant sections of the
email and DNS One's from memory.
It's time to unsubscribe from these Forth lists.  Time moves on and they hold
no interest anymore.