Re: [colorforth] Re-connecting

--- marrandy <marrandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday 11 February 2005 21:55, Mark Slicker
> wrote:

> > > Pop 3 can run on tcp or udp.
> >
> > The RFC is pretty informal, it doesn't explicitly
> require TCP, however the
> > only description of its operation is based on TCP
> connections.
> >
> > Mark
>
> rfc1939.3. Basic Operation
>
>    Initially, the server host starts the POP3
> service by listening on
>    TCP port 110.
>
> How much more explicit do you want it.  Plus the
> fact that pop3 is set to
> listen on tcp 110 when you configure you mail
> servers, not udp.
>
> But anyway, have it your own way.  You can try
> talking to mail servers on port
> 25 udp if you wish, or time servers on port 123 tcp
> and pretty much breach
> every other RFC for connecting to systems by
> flipping between tcp and udp and
> vice versa.  I think you will find the results
> unsatisfactory.
>
> But it's a free world.  Go ahead and enjoy
> yourselves.  I would have thought
> it would be more productive to google pop3, smtp or
> whatever service you are
> planning to write for, find the relevant RFC, find
> out the port/s and
> requirements to ensure inter-operability ie. connect
> correctly, give the
> correct codes and transfer data correctly instead of
> tilting at windmills.
>
> There are 65,355 ports, all of which have tcp and
> udp.  It's the RFC's that
> set the standard for mutual communication.  Ignore
> them at your peril.
>
> Anyway, I'm tired of this silliness.  I've been
> around computers for 28-years
> and the internet for 20/21years and running servers
> for over 10-years.  I
> know most of the RFC's pretty well and can quote
> significant sections of the
> email and DNS One's from memory.
> It's time to unsubscribe from these Forth lists.
> Time moves on and they hold
> no interest anymore.

Fine Marrandy, you know it all and it's such a
TERRIBLE sin for someone to suggest ANYTHING that
goes counter to what you know to be gospel truth.
Doing so will cause the entire Internet to
immediately fail and civilization as we know to
come to a screeching halt.

Sheesh.  Just because you're more familair with
the Pop3 RFC than I am is no excuse for you to
be rude.  Also the fact is UDP is currently
working under colorForth and, (to my knowledge)
TCP currently is not.  Does it not make sense
to make the most use of what's currently
available while waiting on the "correct"
protocol to be available?  After all, there's
more to an email reader than just the
protocol/port it's running on right?  It would
make sense that if someone got an email reader
working on UDP, he could rework it for TCP
once became available.  Plus if you have
your own Linux box set up (as many people do)
you could set up your own Pop3 server running
on UDP and use that as a bridge to the "real
world".  At least that makes sense to me.
Sorry to waste your precious time with my
"sillyness".

Regards,

John M. Drake