Re: [colorforth] part two of Ray's post

Quoting "Ray St. Marie" <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx>:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:33:02 -0600

Nick here:

Dear Ray,

Thanks for the interest; a bootable floppy is on its
way
to your address.  It also includes a block of code that
might enable you to play an audio CD thru your
soundcard while coding ColorForth.

http://www.strangegizmo.com/forth/ColorForth/msg00692.html

http://www.strangegizmo.com/forth/ColorForth/msg01275.html

http://www.strangegizmo.com/forth/ColorForth/msg01287.html

http://www.strangegizmo.com/forth/ColorForth/msg01485.html

image into a cd, this is not reliable on my hardware.
For instance, I find that the floppy version of
Howerd's
CFDOS4 boots reliably, but sofar have not succeeded
with its CD image by John Comeau - pollution in the
electric mains here is dire.

2. As regards trying the 12bit parallel DAC from Analog
Devices, they alse make a 16bit board ($150) which I
hope to drive at 1 MHz with a PCI proto board plus fast
32bit cable from Quancom.de (300 Euro).  I am going to
all this expense and trouble because of a notion that
really accurate tuning (not semitones but 1/8th tones)
needs  faster conversion rates (about 10 times faster)
than current commercial codecs can supply.  Also,
audiophiles seem to agree that parallel conversion is
less jittery than the present wave of serial
convertors.

> 3. As to the AC-97 block included in your Multi tasker
image with Tim Neitz, I have a printout of the same code
(plus a lot of web code) that I always thought came from
Chuck via Tim. If so, I also remember Chuck writing in
an early CF post, that his card needed to be
initialized by an external OS before switching to CF.
Has anyone on  CF found out what that first step is -
for any card?
That is the point at which I got fedup and went the
parallel route.  But AC'97s are cheap and good for most
music purposes, and I guess from the blocks Tim so
thoughtfully provided (on interrupts also) that we have
almost enough to code a complete CF audio driver:)

>4.  You say you'ld like to go over 05 again.  Well, the
floppy is Josh's 16bit CF05 with some helpful macros
that I snipped from Howerd's CF4DOS. I also amended
block 30 to correct the color balance, due to a little

difference between 32bit and 16bit color coding (see
Karig's commentary).

>Caritas,

           Nick