[colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

Hello,

I have, at last, obtained an old laptop with a floppy drive that boots and saves colorForth.

What is the state of colorForth now? I know Mr Moore made it public domain so it's not centrally controlled, but as a newbie it's difficult to find who has achieved or produced what, and where this has been shared. It seems that a lot of Web pages are derelict or gone -- the colorforth-info@ faq links return 404/403, the mail list archives mention a wiki that is no more, as well as many other useful looking avenues that have since disappeared. Also the downloads from colorforth.com via ultratechnology.com don't work (or does one need an account?) so I can't get my hands on that source code (I got color.com and put it on a dos floppy a while ago).

Have I come to the party too late? I do hope not! It does feel as if I'm doing archaeology, though, in just trying to dig up the basics: not just colorForth but all Forth. I've obtained some books but I had to get those second hand as they've not been published for a couple of decades! I've spent some time delving into Pygmy but being tied to DOS and real mode is too restrictive. I don't want an operating system in the way; I want direct access to the hardware. Forth is delicious and colorForth might just be the ticket.

I would be deeply grateful for any advice on where to start. Where is the accumulated knowledge?

Also has anyone got anywhere with USB?

Regards,
Jason Kemp