Re: [colorforth] How to recreate the 31 July color.com

Ray here --- Interjecting a Interogatory. See **HERE** below...

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Jason Kemp <jason.kemp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I should be most grateful if anyone could show me my error.
>
> I am trying to recreate color.com using boot.asm, color.asm and gen.asm
> from http://colorforth.cvs.sourceforge.net/colorforth/colorforth/masm/
> and color.com from
> http://colorforth.cvs.sourceforge.net/colorforth/colorforth/ and I have
> not made any changes to the files.
>
> I am following these steps:
> Assemble and link the source code using MASM with the command line "ml
> /AT /Fl /Sg color.asm".  This produces a 18,432 byte file.
> I then open the original color.com file (64,512 bytes) and overwrite the
> first 18,432 bytes with those that I have just assembled.
>
> This new color.com does not work--it displays the coloured squares of
> the logo but nothing else and the computer becomes unresponsive.

**HERE**
Yo, Jason. :)
I have to ask,,, Did you happen to first copy over the first 18 blocks
with zeros before over writing?

I'd also sorta like to see the finished image you have. If you are so
inclined please forward it to my public mail at Ray.stmarie AT
gmail.com.

I'm so pleased to see you build this puzzle yourself.

> My understanding was that everything after the first 18 blocks (first
> 18,432 bytes) is written in colorForth, and everything before comes from
> the assembly code.  There do seem to be some small differences in the
> files up to byte 12,347, but after this point the original file is
> mostly non-zero values whereas the assembled one is just padded with
> zeros, so I think I am overlooking something fundamental.

**HERE**
Like Nick said, earlier and I can confirm that you don't have the
ICONS bitmaps included in that kernel that is 00's after the 12th
block.

Much luck to you,
Ray

> Regards,