Re: [colorforth] Booting from HDD

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Nick Maroudas
<alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nick here,
>
> Thanks Ray, for your boot.asm printout (below).  It
> shows a boot process that has already set up video
> 4FO2/4117 and copied the 512 byte boot sector before
> relocating to "at0:" to copy the remaining code via
> floppy then jumping to "start2" via the floppy call
> "stop" motor.  For comparison, here is JC's boot.asm.
> Unlike yours (or Howerd's original CFDOS4 floppy) this
> CD version does not set up video before relocating, and
> seems to rely on MSDOS or ElTorito (non-emulation
> mode) to have copied all of the code before setting up
> the Graphic Output Display ("god"). See lines 98, 99 in
> JC's version (below). This is a long way from the
> simplicity of Chuck's original boot.asm (which one can
> consult on JC's site under "as/", together with a very
> helpful commentary by John himself). As Albert van der
> Horst has just remarked, "CF is simple but this is the
> other side of the coin".  I find that Howerd's
> CFDOS4.blk (simply DeeDee'd onto a floppy) boots a new
> Pentium D with no OS apart from BIOS, but John's CFDOS4
> CD does not.

Hi Nick, Thanks. I should become more familure with that.

> IMHO Jason is on the right track: floppy emulation; just
> dd a reliable floppy image onto the flash stick
> (after all, CF is meant to be self booting). I could
> expatiate if anyone is interested.

I agree. This is what I thought was happening. As to the IDE HDD boot,
I recall an idea by Tim Neitz and someone I don't recall, sorry you,
talking about a device that puts thumbstick drive memory into the IDE
chain. When described the device was about $20.00 usd. The idea was
that Tim has HDD boot software at the archive that could be adapted to
the purpose. One would boot originally from floppy, then swap the
floppy driver for the HDD driver, and then write the image first to
the HDD, and then somehow also to the external memory chip.

> Caritas,
>
> NickM

Likewise
Ray