Re: [colorforth] Subject: Re: [colorforth] "Play and Display"

OH YES, THIS WILL WORK FOR CHESS!
Ray here hi Nick...
This is great, Nick
I just told Jason Kemp that I want to interview you for the sound word
you've done in sound lately. But this is worth knowing as well, as
I've said, I can see it in my chesses somewhere.

Ray out!

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Nick Maroudas
<alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nick here:
>
> Tutorial:  Play and Display
>
> The words "pause" and "blk" can be used to display a
> music score while playing it, block by block. Blk holds
> the block number, and Pause refreshes the display.
>
> For example, the word "Handel" is on block 68 of Howerd
> Oakford's CFDOS4 (see my tutorial on Monday, 10 Mar
> 2008  Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?).
> One can redefine the word Handel so that it displays
> block 68 before playing Handel's gavotte.
>
> : Handel  68 blk !  pause  Handel ;
>
> One can then define a word to display the next block as
> well
>
> : pd ( Play & Display)  blk @  2 +  blk !  pause  ;
>
> This will cause  Handel  to chain block 70 after it has
> played block 68
>
> : Handel  68 blk !  pause  Handel  pd ;
>
> That way, one can chain a Play & Display music score,
> block after block.  If you want to skip  n  blocks
>
> : ppd ( n>>)  blk @  +  pause ;
>
> and redefine pp
>
> : pp  2 ppd ;
>
> I have used this method to Play & Display 114 bars of
> Beethoven's string quartet Rasoumovsky 1, each bar
> being sourced on a separate block. As far as I can
> judge by ear, the multitasker word  "Pause"  does not
> introduce a perceptible pause between the bars.  Thus,
> CF's display refresh seems to have a low enough latency
> for the purpose of bar by bar P&D.

Raymond St. Marie ii,
colorforthray.info