Re: [colorforth] Problem with ColorForth 2.0

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:31 AM, John Drake <jmdrake_98@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Ray,
>
> First thanks for the helpful pointers.  That's
> some interesting code on the editor.

Your welcome. I think I may have finely reached the point of forgettin
more about colorforth than I know. This is the reason for the new
wiki, comming soon.

> As for the "haters" part, perhaps I was unclear.
> I was not talking about YOU.

I know. That last message WAS supposed to be taken in jest, something
I continually fail at in text. I don't know when to quit.Sorry if I
came off wrong as well. :-)

> If my blog gave
> that impression I need to clean it up.  But certain
> people at c.l.f. that choose to use code like
> yours as "proof" that programming in ColorForth
> is like "programming with boxing gloves on".

I suppose colorForth programming would be just like as you said. This
is going to be true for all new users, I suppose. Lets fix that. :-)

> Yes you can look up the actual emit codes
> if that's what you want to do.  It's also possible
> to do that with ANS forth or C for that matter.
> But if the only way ANS forth programmers
> could do "Hello world" was to look up codes
> in an ASCII table and enter them in reverse
> order to the editor then C programmers would
> use that as a counter example to ANS Forth
> too.

> As for it "only" taking 3 minutes to look up
> the codes....I can type 59 words per minute.
> (Admittedly not that fast using Dvorak), so
> relatively speaking that's not that fast.  It
> doesn't matter if your program doesn't require
> much text output.  But say if someone
> wanted to recreate Zork in ColorForth?
> It all depends on if your "hello world" program
> is an exercise to itself or a building block
> for something else you want to do.

What it was supposed to speak to is using the proper solution for the
problem at hand and not codeing a general solution "which never comes
up." <per C.Moore> Another point that I have failed to make over the
years about this very string of code.

The text handling routines that you came up with are the very things
that Howerd, Mark, Tim, myself and I'm sure others, have coded in the
past. This means there seems to be at the most factorized level, a
congruent way to deal with text presentation. This makes me feel good.
You are to be praised for finding it yourself, just like the others.
This IS ROCKET SCIENCE after all. :-)

> Regards,
>
> John M. Drake

Your friend in living COLOR
Ray

PS. it didn't even take three minutes :-)
I was looking at Chucks packed letter codes at his site, which were
not even correct  for some letters.  But I did include the process I
use when I don't have that infront of me in the post, for those who
might like to use the very "technique" < is an overboard word>.

--
Raymond St. Marie ii,
colorforthray.info