Re: [colorforth] Problem with ColorForth 2.0

Hello Ray,

First thanks for the helpful pointers.  That's
some interesting code on the editor.

As for the "haters" part, perhaps I was unclear.
I was not talking about YOU.  If my blog gave
that impression I need to clean it up.  But certain
people at c.l.f. that choose to use code like
yours as "proof" that programming in ColorForth
is like "programming with boxing gloves on".

Yes you can look up the actual emit codes
if that's what you want to do.  It's also possible
to do that with ANS forth or C for that matter.
But if the only way ANS forth programmers
could do "Hello world" was to look up codes
in an ASCII table and enter them in reverse
order to the editor then C programmers would
use that as a counter example to ANS Forth
too.

As for it "only" taking 3 minutes to look up
the codes....I can type 59 words per minute.
(Admittedly not that fast using Dvorak), so
relatively speaking that's not that fast.  It
doesn't matter if your program doesn't require
much text output.  But say if someone
wanted to recreate Zork in ColorForth?
It all depends on if your "hello world" program
is an exercise to itself or a building block
for something else you want to do.

Regards,

John M. Drake