Re: [colorforth] Seeing the Vesa mode on start-up/changeing same.

Quoting "Ray St. Marie" <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx>:

>... " On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Ray St. Marie
>... " <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>... " > Hi Nick, All!
>... " > It's Ray... go to bottom :-)
>... " >

>... " >
>... " > I've been annotating a listing of the MASM
>... " generated colorForth 1 that
>... " > I did form the Pentium 4. I got to the part
>... " about int 10 -- the
>... " > display set-up interrupt and had a thought.
>... " >
>... " > The monitor that I had seemed to recreate
>... " Nick's display problem is
>... " > EGA/XGA. Nick, please check yours as well. In
>... " the case that it is, we
>... " > will need to enter a new display mode setter
>... " other than 0x4F02H, which
>... " > is specifically VBE, the Vesa superVGA setting
>... " setter. VESA monitors
>... " > seem to be set to 0x117h, 0x118h, and 0x123h
>... " successfully.
>... " >
>... " > I don't believe anyone has tested the EGA/XGA
>... " settings.
>... " The blog ( http://colorforth.net ) now has the
>... " beginings of the source
>... " breakdown that I've been promising. I was able
>... " to find that xga
>... " monitors have a 'set mode' of 4e03, but I'm
>... " still not finding the
>... " selection number for 1024x768x256 colors. IF you
>... " know it or know where
>... " I can find it... :-)

Nick here:  Thanks, but sorry, I'm still not able to
focus on details of VESA cheatcodes.  However, they
ought to be backward compatible, so 117 & 118 ought
still to be the codes for 1024x768 resolution.  Mark
Slicker's website lists a CF01 with VESA query
facility, but I do not have privilege access to this -
so I'll try to do it myself with help of VESA
documentation and your website.

But slow as I am, CF does what I want sooner or later.
I am not held up by monitor because I have ripped the
new source blocks out of the Windows CF (about 130
blocks) and can add the ones I need to Josh's CF05 -
once I've managed to understand them.  Intellasys
promise a Linux version of the new CF, plus a USB stick
with many c18, which will be the real big step in
learning:  parallel Forth (coloured or otherwise).

Caritas,

Nick

A better world is not only possible but on the way.  On
a quiet day you can hear her breathing.  - Arundhati
Roy

****