[colorforth] Z80 Forth (was: if then else - but why is there no ‘else’ in colorForth?)

Nick Maroudas wrote on Tue,  4 Nov 2008 15:46:18 +0200
> Quoting Jason Kemp:
>
> >... " exceedingly good fun.  In fact I've not had such
> >... " fun with computers
> >... " since the days of ZX81s
> >... "
>
> Nick here:  I think one of the brilliant early bloggers
> - Jecel Assumpcao @ Merlintec.com (alas, no longer with
> us)-

I'm still here :-)

But I have never really blogged.

> would have agreed with you: Jecel said the best
> Forth was on the Z80 and since then it has been
> downhill all the way.  IMHO Colorforth is Z80 Forth for
> the 21st century - EVEN MORE FUN on even faster CPUs.

I don't think I would ever say that Z80 Forths were the best. The best
book I have ever read about Forth implementation (Loeliger, Threaded
Interpretive Languages, Byte Books, 0-07-038360-x) was dedicated to the
Z80 but that is not the same thing. The 68000 was a far nicer processor
for Forth, for example.

What I do agree with is that Colorforth is great fun, though I am
interested observer (I program in Smalltalk) rather than an active
participant in the community.

-- Jecel