Re: [colorforth] VirtualBox (was: if then else - but why is there no ‘else’ in colorForth?)

Hi Dave
Does this work with the previous editions of CF? I imagine it should work with anything that can boot.
No clue, as I haven't tried them. If you can find a copy it might be worth giving it a try.
Well, it didn’t seem to like CF05 at all. Just a black screen. I tried CF2a and that booted but the video is wrong and virtualbox gives a warning about running in 24bit colour (but this version is supposed to be 32!) plus there was no visible response from the keyboard. Are you just running the OkadWork.cf image unchanged and with default settings in virtualbox? Am I missing something really obvious?
I can see great value in this for experimenting, particularly as it has virtual USB controllers.
My view on the issue is I have a Macbook Air as my main development box, so running on bare hardware isn't worth it. Too much of the hardware is undocumented. What I'm interested in is largely deconstructing CF so I can port it to ARM based systems (of which I have a few), where bloated OS installs waste most of the available resources and storage.
I've dreamt of something similar. I’ve got a little NSLU2 and it’s amazing what people have done with linux on it, but it is choked by the OS. It just about manages simple web serving, but email serving brings it to its knees. CF on something like that could set it free.

Jason