Re: [colorforth] if then else - but why is there no ?else? in colorForth?

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:35:18PM +0200, Nick Maroudas wrote:
> Dear Albert,
>
> Thank you.  Let me be among the first to welcome your
> kind offer of to disassemble CF2a as you did CF01.
> Moreover, the the addition of a high powered assmbler
> like yours would be useful for instance in my music
> project:
> certainly fast 64 bit addition in Real Time CPU Clock,
> and possibly floating point for wide dynamic range.
> Even 10 screens for your full assembler would be very
> little extra, seeing that my own
> project already has 90 screens of 'synth' and 360 of
> 'score'; anyway the 10 screens would be loaded only
> when required.
>
> As regards 'official' versions, I am afraid Cf is not
> Linux: it is not officially open source, there are no
> official maintainers, there is no contract with Charles
> Moore. I take what I can, and am grateful.  CF01 came
> from the website of CM, as open source plus disassembly
> by CM, with subsequent mods and further disssembly by
> others - including your esteemed self; CF05 arrived via
> Jeff Fox, again with mods and disassembly by others -
> the one by Josh Grams is the one I use; and now CF2a
> comes
> without a disassembly from 'the Okad team', which seems
> to be a commercial enterprise allied to Intellasys
> which makes CM's parallel Forth cpu chip, where their
> present interest and future hopes lie.

Okay so CF2a is the most recent. I couldn't care less there
is no source. Where can I get it?

> I tried to 'Run' your old reassembly of CF01
> (color.com)
> on my wife's XP Winmachine - no use. Unfortunately my
> old Win95 machine has died - the one that ran Chuck's
> original CF01, and started me off.

> But my subsequent experience with native CF01 and
> native
> CF05 has conviced me that native colorforth is
> inherently stable - once you have a disassembly to
> identify the few parameters that need to be 'peeked'
> and 'poked' (mainly in VDU).

This must mean that I miss something in the disassembly,
since the original works!

<SNIP>

After that, it is a
> hobbyist's dream:  a self booting OS with VDU,
> keyboard, number dump and source compiler, access to the
> pci bus, no hidden interrupts and no
> hidden BIOS tricks - all in less than 12k plus a few k
> for graphic icons! Hence my continued interest in
> booting from native CF2. Plus the possibility of a full
> Intel assembler in only 10 more k?

You don't have to wait. It is part of the distribution of
ciforth. Also retroforth has a copy that is sightly simplified
and may be a good starting point.

However, to get a feel of how to use it, you can load the
full assembler. It has complete error detection, that is
you cannot get a non-intended result through. Also it comes
with a testset, which is effectively a complete set of all
possible combinations of instruction, addressing modes and
registers.

The basic idea of my assembler is very Forthy. Bit fields are
manipulated separately.

I would be interested in having a 64 bit colorforth.
That could do away with the complication of the Huffman
coding.

> Caritas,
>
> Nick

Groetjes Albert