Re: [colorforth] objects and forth

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:10:46PM -0500, David J. Goehrig wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:29:33PM -0700, vaded@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<SNIP>

I think it is important not to forget that Chuck well aware of what
McCarthy was doing in 1958 when Lisp was formulated, and the Germans and
Americans developed Algol in a comittee that same year. That was really
the critical year in the history of programming, and we've basically
been stuck with the idioms formalized in that year. In many ways, we're
still fighting that battle, and sadly the Algol people are winning. :)

Please limit your lines to 72 char's. I had to reformat.

There is a crucial difference between C FORTH FORTRAN PERL
on one side and PASCAL ALGOL ADA PYTHON on the other.
Only Americans don't seem to appreciate the difference.
The US languages are disorganized and full of oddities, irregularities
and add hoc constructions, unsafe allbeith practical.
The European languages have a theoretical base, are regular, easier to
understand and memorize and safer.

Yes! Algol is winning. At long last runtime array bounds checking is
added to the GCC compiler. And guess what? It only costs a few
percent in performance.

Most people thing PYTHON is way superior over PERL.

Why are you sad?

> Dave
>
> PS. Lisp is just Polish Notation Forth, it about think :)

Forth is reverse polish LISP.

Groetjes Albert