Re: [colorforth] objects and forth

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:40:09PM -0700, bishop wrote:
> (One might note, without rancor, that Unix folk and their 72 character
> requirement splattered all over the world of computers is precisely the
> sort of thing that Chuck has been reviling, forever.
> Geof Bishop)

The 72 limit comes from the newspaper and magazine folks who
know that beyond 60 to 66 chars/line text becomes unpleasant to
read. This has been known for centuries and is firmly entrenched
in the type setting world. Image a newspaper with text running
from side to side, like some c-program with 14 levels of indentation
and 40 character names.
Before the MS-Word folk and the insane idea that everybody can be
a publisher took over ;-).

I would rather guess that Chuck would maintain that 64 char's on a
line (aka blocks) do little to hamper ones ability to write readable
programs, but I let Chuck speak for himself.

Groetjes Albert

P.S. I don't make this up. Where I work, we have now under
a maintenance contract a program where indeed a 14 level
indentation is present.