pipelining

   I understand that carry propagation is some operation that intrinsically
takes time. On the P21, this may be bearable, but as word size grows, I'm
not sure it's a good idea to require NOPs, which drastically reduces
throughput.
   Perhaps then, on the P32 should the addition be pipelined:
instead of requiring three to five NOPs after a +, just have + pop one
or two arguments, compute in a pipeline, and push the result of modify TOS.
Wouldn't that help ? If addition is the slowest operation, this could also
allow to increase the speed for other operation and just have + delay
more its result in ticks.
   Am I missing the point ? Am I being mistaken as for where the problem is ?
   BTW, what currently happens if one doesn't do enough NOPs ?

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
		   TUNES is a Useful, Not Expedient System
WWW page at URL: "http://acacia.ens.fr:8080/home/rideau/Tunes/";