Re: MeshSP vs. P21

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> The chip is reasonably fast, provided one believes the specs.
> It's a bit low on registers, I must admit. Integer ratings will
> be not awesome (especially, if you divide a lot). Float ratings
> disastrous at best since there is no float unit (thanks god).
> Video and analog processing are nice goodies, but few scientists need
> them. So what?
>
> The best feature is the price. You can build a 10-node machine
> for the price of one. Memory bandwidth is great. Networking
> bandwith adequate. Parallel integer performance good (alas,
> there is no benchmark for that).

The statement, that there is no benchmark to measure well F21's
performance (and MISC's for that matter) has surfaces several times here.
I would again draw the attention of the readership to the HINT benchmark.
Note, that its author /John Gustafson/ has not yet heard of the existence
of the MISC design, so the benchmark is not designed to show how great
MISC is.

--
Penio Penev <Penev@venezia.Rockefeller.edu> 1-212-327-7423