patents

Dear MISC readers:

Wayne Morellini recently commented on some stuff including the following:

>Jeff Fox Wrote:
>>I picked up "More on Forth Engines" Volume 20 from Dr. Ting last weekend.
>>This issue includes a description of the 44 pin MuP21h PLCC, a chapter
>>on Tom Zimmer and Andrew McKewan's F95 (Win32For), new OK and rectangle
>>drawing code for MuP21, and Chuck's patents on Forth, Sh-Boom, and MuP21.

I corrected that last line in a second post to comp.lang.forth, but I
guess I didn't correct it in the MISC mail list.  I listed the
patent numbers and names.  The patents are on the 16 bit technology
with Harris, and the Sh-boom.  It takes time for the patents to
go through, and I didn't mean to say Chuck had a Forth Language Patent.

>Interesting, finally Chuck has got around to patenting the Sh-Boom, and
>Mup21, this should be a great legal future,

I was pleased to see the patents published as people are always asking
me about this issue.

>                                              though Forth is to public
>domain, Idon't think such a patent would go through in Australia, even if we
>had software patentting (gratefully). Why should we have the more general
>form of protection (rather than you can't copy my work, or protend to be my
>product (look like etc), obvously the value of a language is in it's words
>and interface, and thus there should be rulings on anything that is 100% (or
>largerly) compatible with it.  In the end I would argue that it offers More
>than Reasonable protection to those who can afford it.  For those who can't
>afford it (smaller startups) it makes life even harder, and constricts what
>they can do, but of course I could be wrong here, is a large sum required
>like normal patents or is it cheap like copyright, does the new proposed
>software patent system replace copyright etc, this is Australia over here
>and I have been to busy to follow it?

Quite right.  The Forth Language is public domain, I didn't mean to imply
otherwise.  I canceled a post to comp.lang.forth with the same wording
and added one with patent numbers and descriptions.  Phil Koopman tells
me that I can get a copy online, so I may add it to my web site.

>                                        Anyway I'll have to get this issue,
>and have a look at that new PLCC.

>>Also Mosis delivered P8 and F21 a couple of weeks before expected on
>>Friday.  Chips are being tested now and results will be posted.
>
>Hooray, I'll look forward to finding out about these.

Me too!